What should I do if I am involved in a car accident?

If you are involved in a car accident, it can be a scary experience. If you are badly shaken, you are probably not going to be thinking as clearly as you would be in a calmer circumstance. Knowing what to do and what information to get before a car accident occurs can help you to act appropriately if the need ever arises.

Question: Do you need to call 911?

Not all car accidents require that you call 911, but there are some circumstances where you should.

If someone is seriously injured as a result of the car accident, your first priority is to call 911 to make sure that they get the medical attention that they need.

If you suspect that the other driver is intoxicated or otherwise impaired, call the police immediately. Driving under the influence is crime, and it is important to have the police verify whether your suspicions are correct.

If you do not feel that there is a need to contact the police while at the scene, you should still report the event to a self-reporting collision centre so that there is a record on file.

Speaking with the other driver

It is natural to be concerned for the well-being of others involved in the car accident and no doubt you will make some small talk while you are waiting for police and/or tow trucks.

At this point, you should not admit any blame or agree to pay for any damages. You should also not agree to take your car in to the other driver’s mechanic for repairs. It is important to let your insurance company’s property damages advisors do their jobs.

Exchanging information

What you should do while your speaking to the other driver is to exchange information. Information that should be exchanged includes names, phone numbers, and address as well as getting the vehicle make, model and the vehicle’s license plate number.

You should also get the driver’s license number and insurance policy number of the other driver.

If you are able, it is also a good idea to take photos of the accident and any damages caused to your vehicle or injuries to yourself.

If You’ve Been Injured

If you’ve were injured during the car accident, you should consult with a doctor as soon as possible. Even if the injuries seem minor, it is important to get a proper diagnosis, as accident injuries can sometimes be more serious than they first appear.

It is also important to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You only have seven days from the time of the accident to make a claim with your insurance company, and it is advisable to speak with a personal injury lawyer before you speak to your insurance company.

If you injuries prevent you from coming into our law office, one of the lawyers from Clarke Law can arrange a consultation with you at your home or in the hospital.

Leave a Reply