I was involved in a car accident and the other driver left the scene. Can I still get compensated?

There are ways of still receiving compensation if you’ve been in a car accident in Toronto where the other driver left the scene. As in any other case, hiring a lawyer after a car accident is the best course of action. In Canada, leaving the scene of an accident is a crime.

Question: What should I do if the other driver leaves?

The first thing you should do is to be observant and write down as much information as you can, including the colour, make, and model of car that hit you. Write down their license plate, even if you can only recall a portion of it. Take pictures if you can. If you saw the driver, write down as many distinguishing features as you can remember. The more information and detail you have, the better. If there were any eye witnesses, such as pedestrians, or other drivers who stopped to help, ask them to write down what they saw. Doing this as soon as possible will ensure maximum accuracy. Do your best not to share or confuse information with the other witnesses; instead, provide the police with all the accounts of the events separately. Again, this will provide for a more accurate account of what happened.

The next step is to call the police. You will want to do this almost immediately after the accident, to give the police a better chance at finding the car that hit yours. If there are any near-by businesses with street-facing cameras, the police will want to ask them for footage of the accident. This will hopefully give them a good look at the car and its license plate. The next step is to call a personal injury lawyer, who can help you with the aftermath of the hit-and-run accident. Hiring a lawyer will bring you peace of mind in such a stressful situation, as they will handle all of the intricate details of the case.

Question: How do I receive compensation from a driver who left the scene?

This is where it is especially important that you hire a lawyer after this type of accident. With the help of your lawyer and the police, you will hopefully be able to track down the hit-and-run driver. Even if the police do not make an arrest, once you know who the driver is, you can file an insurance claim against them. Locating the offender on your own may not be enough for the insurance matters. Your lawyer may need to file a lawsuit against the driver, and subpoena them to appear, requiring their cooperation in your case. This is nearly impossible without the help of a lawyer. Enlisting the help of the personal injury lawyers at Clarke Law will be your best bet in getting the compensation you deserve. Hit-and-run cases are often even more difficult than the average car accident, which is why having a lawyer is so crucial.

Leave a Reply