Becoming injured due to another person’s negligence can be very devastating, physically, emotionally, and financially. If you are considering legal action, you need to work with good personal injury lawyers who can help you receive the compensation you need. However, it’s important that you choose a qualified lawyer with experience so that the process goes as smoothly as possible. How do you know how to find the best injury lawyers in Toronto?
There are a number of factors to consider when hiring a lawyer. You need to work with somebody who can help you achieve the maximum compensation possible for your injury.
Here are some guidelines to get you started.
- When evaluating a law firm, find out if they give free consultations. You should be under no obligation to sign up with them.
- Make sure they have experience dealing with cases similar to your own. They should specialize in your specific type of injury. If it’s a law firm, make sure that you are assigned a lawyer who is knowledgeable about your injury and the types of treatments it involves. Some injuries are more difficult to litigate than others, since the symptoms might not be as obvious.
- Do a bit of research on the lawyer or firm you are thinking about working with. Go online to read more about the law firm in question.
- Find out if they have a network of community healthcare providers they can call upon to join your team. If the case goes to trial, you will need doctors and other medical professionals on your side.
- Ask a lawyer how he/she thinks your case should be handled. How much participation would be required of you in the case? How will he/she keep you informed? Good communication is essential. The lawyer you hire should not be handling several cases at once. You should be able to get a hold of him/her whenever you need.
- Make sure your lawyer is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Keep in mind that the law in Ontario allows for a contingency fee. This is the lawyer’s fee that is based upon the percentage of your total recovery amount, which is approximately 20%, although it may vary depending on factors such as the risks and complexities associated with the case.
If possible, visit the office in person for your consultation. How friendly are the lawyers? Do they seem genuinely concerned about your injury during the consultation? Do they seem interested in your case? Don’t work with any lawyers who make you feel uncomfortable.
Clarke Law meets all of the criteria of a good personal injury lawyer.